Shelby Criminal Defense Lawyers
The criminal attorneys of Teddy, Meekins & Talbert have many years of experience in criminal defense law. We can represent individuals charged with everything from a minor traffic violation to a serious criminal offense.
If you have been charged with a crime in Shelby or a nearby area in North Carolina like Charlotte, know that we understand the emotions and confusion you may be experiencing. We also fully realize what is at stake for you and perhaps your family.
You can count on our criminal defense attorneys to aggressively protect your rights, explore all options available to you and seek the best possible resolution of your case.
Start getting a handle on the criminal charges you or a loved on faces by contacting us today by phone or online. We can provide a prompt, completely confidential consultation and get to work on your case right away.
North Carolina Criminal Defense Experience You Can Count On
We have always been passionate about criminal defense at Teddy, Meekins & Talbert. Two of our lawyers, David Teddy and Daniel Talbert, are certified by the North Carolina State Bar as Criminal Law Specialists. Achieving this status means that they have:
- Passed an examination
- Worked substantially in criminal law practice
- Attended ongoing training and legal education seminars in criminal defense law
- Received a favorable evaluation from their peers.
Both attorneys have, in fact, dedicated their entire legal careers to protecting the rights of the accused and have earned wide recognition in the North Carolina legal community. Mr. Teddy, a former President of the North Carolina Advocates for Justice, and Mr. Talbert often are asked to lead criminal defense seminars and share their knowledge and insights with other lawyers.
We believe that our experience can make a difference for you. We can bring our strong grasp of North Carolina criminal law and criminal procedure to your case as well as our skills as investigators, negotiators and trial lawyers.
Above all, our experience has taught us the importance of open and honest communication with our clients. You can trust us to fully explain your situation, answer your questions, address your concerns and make sure that you always know what is happening at every stage in your case.
Please see our Client Testimonials to learn more about our approach to serving clients.
How Our Shelby Criminal Defense Attorneys Can Help You
Teddy, Meekins & Talbert can provide a broad range of legal services to you, including:
- Requesting a reasonable bond that will allow you to live at home while your criminal case is pending.
- Seeking discovery of all evidence the prosecution plans to use against you.
- Conducting an independent investigation of your case, including exploring any defenses that can be raised on your behalf.
- Filing pretrial motions that seek to have the charges against you dismissed or to exclude from your case any illegally obtained or unduly prejudicial evidence.
- Advising you on the risks and benefits you face if your case goes to trial and, in turn, pursuing the course of action that you wish to take.
- Negotiating with prosecutors for a plea arrangement that will minimize your punishment in exchange for a guilty or no-contest plea.
- Going to trial with a carefully prepared defense strategy that is geared towards making the strongest challenge possible to the prosecution’s case.
- If you are convicted, presenting evidence at your sentencing hearing that is aimed at minimizing the fines, jail time or other consequences you face.
- Pursuing post-conviction relief for you, including appeals, motions for appropriate relief and expungement of past convictions.
Our lawyers are often sought out on the hardest of criminal cases in the hardest of times for the individuals and families involved in the case. We take pride in doing our very best to zealously represent our clients in every case.
Our North Carolina Criminal Defense Practice Areas
Because of our deep background in North Carolina criminal law, the lawyers of Teddy, Meekins & Talbert can handle a broad range of cases, including:
You need to take any traffic ticket seriously. If you miss your court date, you could be charged with failure to appear. However, you should also think twice before simply admitting guilt and paying your ticket by mail or online. A traffic offense can add points to your driver’s license record and cause your auto insurance premiums to soar. We can review your case and explore all options for you such as:
- Seeking to have your charge reduced to a lesser traffic offense
- Moving for a Prayer for Judgment Continued (PJC)
- Challenging your ticket based on weaknesses in the State’s evidence.
In most cases, we can represent you in a speeding or other traffic offense case without the need for you to even appear in court.
If you are convicted of driving while impaired (DWI) in North Carolina, you can face fines, jail time, seizure of your vehicle and loss of your driver’s license in addition to other consequences. You can also lose your driver’s license if you refuse to consent to a breath or blood test upon your arrest for a suspected DWI.
We are highly experienced DWI defense lawyers at Teddy, Meekins & Talbert. We can thoroughly examine your case and pursue the best strategy for you, whether that means entering a plea or challenging the State’s evidence in court. Also, we can represent you in hearings before the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) with the goal of protecting your driving privileges or obtaining limited driving privileges that will allow you to continue to get to work, school or your children’s daycare.
Most drug offenses are charged as felonies in state or federal court. The penalty you face depends on the type of drug, the amount involved and whether you have past convictions for drug offenses. We recognize that people can be wrongfully charged with possession, sale, delivery, manufacturing and trafficking drug offenses. We will work hard to protect your rights.
Our criminal defense attorneys can represent clients in a variety of other felony and misdemeanor cases, including:
- Violent crimes (including assault and battery)
- Sex crimes
- White collar crimes
- Theft crimes (including larceny and embezzlement)
- Property crimes
- Gun crimes
- Hunting, fishing and boating violations
We also can assist you if you have been charged with a probation violation or if you are challenging a satellite-based monitoring order.
We represent adults in District Court and Superior Court as well as juveniles. We can also help college and high school students who face school disciplinary actions in addition to criminal charges.
Find a Lawyer Today! Our Shelby Criminal Defense Attorneys Are Here To Help.
When you have been charged with violating North Carolina law, you want a skilled and experienced criminal defense lawyer at your side that is passionate about making sure your rights are fully protected.
Contact Teddy, Meekins & Talbert today. We can provide an immediate, confidential consultation about your case at our office in Shelby or at a location in Rutherfordton, Lincolnton, Gastonia or a nearby area that is most convenient for you. We can get started on your defense right away.
Sources / More Information