“Ralph is the epitome of what a lawyer should be.”- Melinda R.
“David Teddy and his team are outstanding!!! WORTH EVERY PENNY!”- Nicholas D.
“David Teddy was more than worth the money... he actually took the time to listen.”- Rosslyn S.
“Daniel Talbert is a top-notch attorney... he has a never-give-up approach even when things look bleak.”- Roger T.
Cherryville Accident Statistics
Wreck statistics for North Carolina residents are alarming, and they show that car accidents are a serious problem in the Pine State. The tremendous population growth in the region, including places like Shelby, Rutherfordton, and Hickory has not improved the situation.
“We very much understand accident statistics represent real people who have been injured or lost their lives, through no fault of their own, in preventable accidents – Ralph Meekins, Cherryville Accident Lawyer
Car accidents can cause a wide range of injuries, from minor cuts and bruises to serious, life-altering injuries. Some of the most common types of injuries that occur in car accidents include:
Whiplash is a neck injury that occurs when the head is suddenly jerked backward and forward. It can cause pain, stiffness, and limited mobility.
Car accidents can cause broken bones in almost any part of the body. Broken bones can be painful and may require surgery and rehabilitation.
Abdominal injuries and internal bleeding can occur in car accidents when the seat belt or airbag impacts the stomach area. These injuries can be serious and also may require surgery.
Strains, sprains, and tears in muscles, tendons, and ligaments
Soft tissue injuries are common in car accidents and can cause pain, lack of mobility, and discomfort. Those can include back injuries, as well as leg and arm issues.
Spinal cord injuries
Spinal cord injuries can be life-altering and can cause paralysis, loss of range of motion, the inability to lift objects, and other serious complications.
Traumatic brain injuries
Traumatic brain injuries or “TBI” can occur when the head hits an object, such as the steering wheel or dashboard. These injuries can cause a wide range of different symptoms, including things like paralysis, headaches, memory loss, difficulty concentrating, and speech and vision issues.
Bruises and cuts to the skin
Even minor car accidents can cause cuts, abrasions, and bruises. While these injuries may not be serious, they can still be painful and require medical attention.
“It is a good idea to seek medical attention after a car accident, even if you don’t think you are injured – Ralph Meekings, Accident Attorney
Some injuries, such as whiplash and traumatic brain injuries, may not be immediately apparent and can worsen over time. Early detection and treatment may improve your chances of recovery and help you avoid long-term complications.
Catastrophic injuries are defined as those resulting in permanent disability, disfigurement, or death. These types of injuries can arise from car accidents and require special legal consideration.
We believe it is important to immediately obtain legal counsel to help protect your legal rights and options.
“Ralph is the epitome of what a lawyer should be.” - Melinda R.
“David Teddy and his team are outstanding!!! WORTH EVERY PENNY!” - Nicholas D.
“David Teddy was more than worth the money... he actually took the time to listen.” - Rosslyn S.
“Daniel Talbert is a top-notch attorney... he has a never-give-up approach even when things look bleak.” - Roger T.
When you are involved in a car accident, it is important to take the following steps to protect your health and your legal rights:
- Stop and do not leave the scene. Unless you have serious injuries that require immediate treatment, you should remain at the scene until law enforcement arrives.
- Call the police or other law enforcement. If appropriate, the authorities will file an official accident report that includes details of the scene and other information you may need to eventually pursue compensation.
- Seek medical help. Even if you feel fine immediately after the accident, you could suffer from internal injuries that won’t be obvious until later.
- Exchange information with the other driver. Be sure to get the driver’s name, email address, phone number, mailing address, driver’s license number, vehicle registration information, insurance company name, and policy number.
- Get contact details for witnesses. Try to take notes about what they saw, including whether they heard the other driver admit fault.
- Take photos and make notes. While your memory is fresh, write down what happened and draw a diagram showing the position of the vehicles, where they collided, and where they ended up. If you can, take photos of the vehicles, the scene, and yourself. Using your cell phone to take pictures and video of the accident scene is advisable.
- Contact an experienced car accident lawyer in Cherryville right away. Insurance companies are looking out for themselves, and they have massive resources at their disposal. We know how to take on these insurance powerhouses and pursue full and fair compensation for your car accident claim.
It is important to avoid certain actions immediately after a car accident. For example, do not apologize for the accident or communicate with an insurance adjuster without consulting a lawyer. These actions can harm your chances of obtaining fair compensation for your injuries and damages.
If you have been injured in a car accident caused solely by another driver’s negligence, you may be entitled to pursue compensation for your losses. Compensation for damages may include things like:
- Medical bills: This includes the costs of treatment, expenses for hospital stays, surgeries, doctor visits, medications, and physical therapy.
- Lost wages: If you were unable to work due to your injuries, you may be entitled to compensation for your lost wages.
- Pain and suffering: You may be entitled to compensation for physical pain, emotional distress, and mental anguish caused by the accident.
- Property damage: This includes the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle, decreased value of the vehicle, and any other property damaged in the accident.
- Punitive damages: In some insurance claims, such as drunk driver wrecks, you may be entitled to punitive damages.
If the insurance company has offered you a settlement, it is important to consult with a qualified car accident lawyer before accepting the offer.
An experienced attorney can evaluate the offer and help you determine whether it is fair and reasonable. If the insurance company won’t settle, filing a car accident lawsuit may be necessary to obtain full and fair compensation.
“We have a lot of experience litigating matters. Sometimes that’s what it takes if the insurance adjuster won’t do the right thing and pay what’s fair – Ralph Meekins, Accident Lawyer in Cherryville NC
Determining Who is At-fault
In North Carolina, fault (legal liability) is determined based on a legal concept known as “pure contributory negligence.”
Under this concept, if you are found to be even 1% at fault for the accident, you may be denied compensation. As such, we think it is important to determine, early on, who is at fault in the accident.
To determine who is at fault, that may require a review of the accident scene, interviewing witnesses, and analyzing other evidence, such as police reports and medical records.
In some cases, an expert may be hired to re-create the accident scene and provide more insight into what happened and who is at fault. Having an experienced car accident lawyer on your side is important to help ensure your rights are protected, and that you receive the compensation you deserve.
When the Worst Happens: Wrongful Death From a Car Accident
Losing a loved one in a car accident is a tragedy that no family should have to endure. If your loved one has died as a result of a car accident caused by another driver’s negligence, you may be able to file a wrongful death claim to seek justice for your loss. Loved ones may be entitled to pursue compensation for:
This includes expenses related to your loved one’s medical treatment prior to their death.
This includes expenses related to your loved one’s funeral and burial.
Pain and suffering of the loved one who died
Loved ones may be entitled to compensation for the pain and suffering their loved one experienced prior to their death.
If your loved one was a primary earner for your family, you may be entitled to compensation for their lost income.
Loss of companionship
Loved ones may be entitled to compensation for the loss of companionship and guidance that their loved one provided.
In certain circumstances, you may be entitled to punitive damages. That is most commonly associated with drunk driving accidents in North Carolina.
If you have lost a loved one in a car accident, please accept our condolences. We’re terribly sorry for your loss.
We know that no amount of money can bring them back, but seeking justice on their behalf can provide some closure and financial resources to help you cope with the situation.
We understand how difficult this process is and we are here to help guide you through it every step of the way.
We believe consulting with an experienced car accident attorney as soon as possible is important. Statutes of Limitations apply and are an extremely important consideration.
How to Handle Car Repairs
After a car accident, you may need to get your vehicle repaired. It is important to know your rights when it comes to getting your car repaired after an accident. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- An insurance company cannot require you to use a certain repair shop.
- The fair market value of a vehicle may differ from what you expect. Carriers obviously prefer to limit their expenses and therefore may “lowball” the vehicle value.
- If the estimated vehicle repairs exceed a specified percentage of the total value of that vehicle, “totaling” the car may be an option.
Dealing with an insurance company can be stressful and time-consuming. Our accident lawyers would like to take this burden off you by managing these negotiations on your behalf.
We understand how a car accident can turn your life upside down. Our accident lawyers are here to help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries, medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other losses.
We have years of experience dealing with insurance companies and are committed to pursuing full and fair compensation for our clients. We also have the resources and legal knowledge to investigate serious car, truck, pedestrian, electric scooter, bicycle, and motorcycle accidents in order to identify all the contributing factors.
We are dedicated to helping our clients navigate the legal process and get their lives back on track.
If you have been injured in a car accident in Cherryville NC, contact us now to schedule a consultation. At Teddy, Meekins & Talbert, P.L.L.C., you will get the individual service of a small firm combined with the knowledge and legal skill of a law firm that takes on big cases.