Tractor-trailers, flatbeds, and other large commercial vehicles are common on the roads in and around Denver, North Carolina. While these trucks are crucial to keeping our economy running, sharing the road with them can be dangerous, especially if the truck driver, trucking company, cargo loading company, or other entities are negligent. If a large truck is involved in a crash, the occupants of smaller vehicles often suffer severe, catastrophic, or fatal injuries.
The North Carolina Department of Transportation reports more than 5,500 crashes statewide involving tractor-trailers in one recent year, including 71 crashes in which someone died. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety reports truck accidents accounted for 22 percent of all traffic fatalities in multi-vehicle crashes nationwide in one recent year.
If you’ve been hurt in a truck accident in Denver or surrounding areas of North Carolina, Teddy, Meekins & Talbert, P.L.L.C., is here to help. Our Denver, NC, truck accident lawyers have recovered significant compensation for our clients. We want to help you seek the money you need to pay your bills and move on with your life.
Our exceptional results are one reason why we were named to U.S. News & World Report’s list of “Best Lawyers.” We pride ourselves on our commitment to our clients.
You can learn more about how we can help you when you contact us for a free initial consultation.
Why You Need a Lawyer After a Truck Accident
If you’re struggling with painful injuries after a truck accident, your focus should be on your recovery, not dealing with insurance companies. When you hire a truck accident attorney to represent you, you can rest easier knowing that someone is fighting for you.
Another reason it’s crucial to hire a skilled truck accident lawyer is that you may have to seek compensation from multiple different parties with different insurance policies to recover full compensation for the harm you’ve suffered. If more than one party is liable for your injuries, you’ll need to file a claim against each one to recover all the compensation you’re owed. A lawyer can help you identify all the potentially liable parties in an accident and work with you to hold them all accountable.
Common Injuries Caused by Truck Wrecks in Denver, NC
Truck accidents frequently leave crash victims with devastating injuries, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
- Cuts, bruises, lacerations
- Back and neck injuries
- Internal injuries
- Rib and torso injuries
Who Can Be Responsible in a Truck Accident Case?
One reason truck accident cases are more complicated than car accident cases is that many truck accidents have several liable parties. Some of the parties who may be liable for a truck accident in Denver, NC, include:
- The truck driver — A truck driver’s negligent behavior could lead to an accident in numerous ways. These run the gamut from speeding and tailgating to impaired and distracted driving. Truckers also frequently ignore federal safety regulations by going too long without taking a required break. That can lead to severe fatigue, which may also lead to an accident.
- The trucking company — Trucking companies are responsible for thoroughly vetting potential drivers as well as monitoring their drivers’ behavior. However, many trucking companies will look the other way and hire drivers with poor safety records or without the necessary qualifications. Trucking companies have also been known to overlook drivers who don’t drive safely or may be abusing drugs or alcohol. All of these behaviors are examples of negligence.
- The owner of the truck — If a truck driver is driving or leasing their truck from their employer or another party, the truck’s owner can sometimes be held liable for an accident caused by the driver’s negligence.
- The cargo loader — A truck’s cargo needs to be loaded and positioned carefully to prevent the cargo from shifting and throwing off the truck’s balance. If a cargo loader is careless and their negligence causes an accident, they could be held liable.
- A parts manufacturer — Many truck accidents are caused by defective parts, such as tires, brakes, and so on. Parts manufacturers can be held liable for an accident if the evidence shows a defective part contributed to the crash.
- The truck maintenance provider — To help minimize the chances of an accident, trucks must have rigorous maintenance checks. But sometimes, maintenance workers make sloppy repairs or aren’t as thorough with their checks as they should be. If a maintenance provider’s negligence contributed to a truck accident, the provider can be held liable for your injuries.
Causes of Truck Accidents in Denver, North Carolina
Truck accidents in Denver and elsewhere in North Carolina happen for many different reasons, including:
- The truck driver is impaired by drugs or alcohol.
- The truck driver is distracted.
- The truck driver is severely fatigued.
- The truck driver is speeding.
- The truck driver is following too closely.
- The truck driver isn’t careful enough when changing lanes, passing, or merging.
- The truck suffers a mechanical defect.
- The truck’s cargo shifts as the truck is moving.
- The truck driver encounters bad weather.
Common Types of Truck Accidents
- Truck Rollovers
- Rear-End Collisions
- Head-On Collisions
- Jackknife Accidents
- T-Bone Accidents
- Sideswipe Accidents
- Wide Turn Accidents
Types of Damages Available After a Truck Accident
A personal injury lawsuit can help you recover compensation for many different losses after a truck accident. For example, you could potentially claim compensation for:
- Lost wages
- Damaged personal property
- Reduced earning potential
- Medical bills
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
Time Limit for Filing a Truck Accident Lawsuit in Denver, NC
You have three years from the date of a truck accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. If you miss this deadline, you will most likely be denied the ability to pursue compensation for your injuries through the legal system.
What to Do After a Semi-Truck Accident
Here’s what you need to do after a semi-truck accident in Denver, NC, if you want the best possible chance of claiming compensation for your injuries:
- Get the truck driver’s name, personal insurance information, company insurance information, driver’s license number, and the name of their employer.
- If any potential eyewitnesses are nearby, get their names and contact information.
- Take as many photos of the crash scene as you can. Be sure to get photos of your injuries, the damage to your vehicle, and the damage to the truck.
- See a doctor as soon as possible. Either the day of the accident at a hospital or see your doctor the next day. Be sure to save your medical records as well.
- Don’t talk to any insurance companies, not even your own. Let your lawyer talk to the insurance companies to minimize your chance of saying something that could hurt your case.
- Hire a truck accident attorney as soon as possible.
Talk to a Truck Accident Lawyer in Denver, NC, Now
The Denver, NC, truck accident lawyers of Teddy, Meekins & Talbert, P.L.L.C., have been fighting on behalf of crash victims in our community for years. We know the impact a truck accident can have on your life. We’re here to provide the aggressive counsel you need and deserve.
Our consultations are free, and you won’t have to pay us a single cent until we win your case. Reach out to us online now for a free consultation.