Teddy and Meekins purchased the Sperling House on December 14, 2000. The partners began extensive renovations, succeeding in restoring the home to its former grandeur. In fact, the firm nominated the restored home for recognition by the National Register of Historic Places. On December 31, 2001, the National Register added the Sperling House to its prominent list of significant American properties.
The George Sperling House sits on a large lot of five acres on the west side of Fallston Road (Highway 18), at the edge of the city limits, northeast of Shelby, North Carolina. The large, two-story, yellow brick Neoclassical Revival style house (1927) faces east, with a grouping of eight associated early twentieth century outbuildings located to the rear of the main house. The nominated tract was historically part of the eighty acres originally associated with the house. Remaining acreage has been sold through the years, once the property was no longer used as a working farm. The outbuildings on the property, most of which pre-date the main house, were built Ca. 1909-1920, as part of the original farmstead surrounding the simple frame farmhouse which the current house replaces. The barn, built Ca. 1927, replaces the original barn and dates from about the same time as the current house. These outbuildings are set in a cluster close to the rear, or west, of the main house. Open fields are located to the west beyond these buildings. These buildings and structures include a two-story gambrel roof mule barn with German siding, one-story corn crib with metal roof, one-story hog pen, one-story wood house with weatherboard siding, two-story granary with weatherboard siding and a pressed metal roof, one-story smokehouse with weatherboard siding, one-story generator house of rusticated concrete block, and a tack house which appears to be identical to the generator house. Notable landscape features include circular driveways, mature hardwood trees, and remnants of a formal garden to the northwest of the house. Foundation plantings around the house are primarily newer materials, with a few scattered older box-woods. Flat land located to the south and west of the house is the only remnant of the original farming area. Woods rim the property along the western edge.
The George Sperling House, built in 1927, and its associated early twentieth century outbuildings are locally significant as a highly intact farm complex built by a successful farmer and businessman at the height of cotton production in Cleveland County. The brick Neoclassical Revival style house is unusual in rural Cleveland County as most farmhouses were simple frame structures. More elaborate residences such as this one were built primarily within the town of Shelby. It was built by Augustus Branton, whose skill as a brick mason and master carpenter are evident throughout the house.